Ride with us! Events happening all summer for all ages and abilities.
#PedalForPink #GunnisonTough #EveryDayIsANewDayChallenge
Every day is a new day.
Cattlemen’s Days Tough Enough to Wear Pink
Cattlemen’s Days Tough Enough To Wear Pink (TETWP) is dedicated to providing comprehensive support to our community in the fight against breast cancer.
Breast cancer is our #1 focus, but our programs are now open to people who are diagnosed with any type of cancer.
Helping and Healing
To the Cattlemen’s Days Tough Enough To Wear Pink Family,
This last year has been one I never could have imagined and it has been challenging for everyone. I read a quote recently that resonated with me, “we should be taking care of each other, not taking sides”. I have been doing a lot of reflecting on life and how to navigate the overwhelming challenges the world is facing. I have found that focusing on my community and on how I can help make it better is a wonderful way to feel that I am part of a solution. Seeing the positive and instrumental impact that Gunnison Tough Enough To Wear Pink (TETWP) has on this community is something I am deeply proud of every day.
Taking care of our community is what TETWP does and the incredible people who are involved in this organization make it happen. We have been the #1 TETWP Fundraiser in the USA for the past 6 years and because of the 16 years of unbelievable support we have from our donors, songwriters, and volunteers, we are now able to open up our programs beyond breast cancer to serve patients with any type of cancer… taking care of even more people in the Gunnison Valley. This year has been tough and we have lost many loved ones including young mothers to cancer. TETWP wanted to do more to help these families so we added some wonderful new and expanded programs that we are excited to provide for our community.
Going through cancer is scary and stressful not only for the person but for the whole family and TETWP wants to be there to help relieve some of the stress. Our Make It A Great Day program is now open to the caregivers so they can get a moment to destress utilizing the many services the department offers including massage, Ortho-bionomy, acupuncture, and Reiki.
TETWP also started a new program, Sparky’s Fund, which is a scholarship for Gunnison County youth with a parent that has been diagnosed with cancer. The scholarship is specifically designed to help ease some stress on families dealing with a cancer diagnosis and everything that comes along with the diagnosis by helping to cover the cost of extracurricular activities, summer programming, college tuition, or other opportunities for youth that the family would otherwise not be able to access while going through treatment. Sparky’s Scholarship Fund was established in honor of Adriana Villalobos (Sparky), a loving wife, mother, coach, and early childhood educator.
Pedal for Pink – Every day is a new day and there is always hope if we hold on to the positive. We learned this from nine-year-old Abby Sanderford as she and her dad rode their tandem bike across the US to raise money for TETWP in honor of her mom who was going through breast cancer. Watching their journey was truly inspiring and a reminder that we all can make a difference and helping others is something we all can do! Abby set a huge goal for herself and it was not an easy one, but she did it! It is impressive to see what you can accomplish if you dedicate yourself and push through the overwhelming challenges and barriers.
Another great quote that comes to mind when I think about Abby’s successful journey is “Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done”. TETWP has done the impossible and we plan to do more. We look forward to making a difference and taking care of our community for many years to come!
With Love and Gratitude,
Heidi Sherratt Bogart
Executive Director – Cattlemen’s Days Tough Enough to Wear Pink
We are a 501(C)(3) organization.
Say hello to our Patient Transportation Vehicles, Bucky, Tuffy, and Betty Ann!
Read more about how Cattlemen’s Days Tough Enough to Wear Pink is helping patients reach their appointments safely and comfortably with our patient transportation vehicles, Bucky, Tuffy, and Betty Ann. Driver volunteers needed! Please see the information at the bottom of this page if you would like to volunteer to drive one of our transportation vehicles. Thank you to Sky High Offroad for keeping Bucky, Tuffy, and Betty Ann in tip-top shape from their tires to oil changes.
“Gunnison Valley Health and Tough Enough To Wear Pink have collaborated on a strategic plan to bring the best in breast care services to the Valley. We could not have done this without the support of Tough Enough to Wear Pink. ”
– Rob Santilli, CEO Gunnison Valley Health
“GVH has one of the strongest rural mammography programs in the state of Colorado and the Gunnison community should be proud of this service.”
– Inspector, Colorado Department of Health and Human Services
Thank you, Katherine!
2022 Cattlemen’s Days
TETWP Volunteer of the Year
Shop at Amazon Smile. Designate Cattlemens Days Inc. as your charity and .5% of your purchases are donated to promote community activities within Gunnison County, including the rodeo, parade, dances, breast cancer awareness, and funding breast cancer support programs.
How We Have Helped the Gunnison Valley
According to a 2016 Community Health Needs Assessment, cancer care is one of the highest priority needs identified by our community. To address this need, Cattlemen’s Days Tough Enough to Wear Pink has helped in the following ways:
- Total fundraising to date since 2005 is $4,392,000.
- 2021 Cattlemen’s Days Fundraising Campaigns raised $650,000.
- Pedal for Pink raised $33,000.
- 2020 fundraising campaigns raised $557,000.
- 2020 $147,000 purchase of Breast MRI Coil.
- 2019 $160,000 purchase of a Breast Stereotactic Biopsy Device.
- 2017 $370,000.00 purchase of a Hologic 3D Tomosynthesis Mammography Machine.
- Proven to detect 20%-65% more invasive breast cancers compared to 2D alone, an average increase of 41%.
- Proven to reduce callbacks by up to 40% compared to 2D alone.
- FDA approved as superior for women with dense breasts compared to 2D alone.
- $120,000 funded in mammograms, ultrasounds, and biopsies since 2013 for uninsured or underinsured Gunnison Valley residents. In 2020 alone, TETWP has funded more than $25,000 to cover the cost of life-saving breast cancer screenings for those who do not have health insurance coverage.
- Over $1,400,000 has been used since 2006 to purchase equipment (Breast MRI Coil, 3D Tomosynthesis, ultrasound, digital mammography, stereotactic biopsy, PINK robes and warmers) to expand breast cancer services at Gunnison Valley Hospital as part of a comprehensive strategic plan with Gunnison Valley Hospital to make this the best small town breast cancer facility in the US.
- Tough Enough To Wear Pink covers 30% of the salary for the Oncology Nurse Navigator hired to help all cancer patients in the Gunnison Valley to navigate the complexities of treatments, medications, insurance, transportation, and provide support and assistance throughout all stages of the cancer continuum.
- “Tuffy” the Transportation Ram Truck purchased in 2016, and “Bucky” the Dodge Durango purchased in 2018 help all cancer patients get to their out of town medical appointments safely and comfortably. They have traveled over 130,000 miles across the state. TETWP welcomed a third vehicle, Betty Ann,
donated in 2020!
- $190,000 granted since 2015 through the Friends of Pink program to help individuals in the Gunnison Valley who were impacted financially due to a breast cancer diagnosis (lost wages, travel expenses for treatment, etc.).
- $10,000 in funding the honorary Edie Gibson “Make It A Great Day” program which helps Gunnison Valley residents who are diagnosed with cancer by providing coupons for them and their caregivers to utilize the therapy services of Integrative Therapies.
- $10,000 to fund Mammo Mondays. A nice treat providing patients with a relaxing massage or reiki after having their annual mammogram at GVH.
- $34,000 since 2019 through Lucy’s House providing lodging assistance to individuals with any type of cancer.
- $2,000 to Casting for Recovery to send two Gunnison County Ladies to the 2018 Fly Fishing Retreat for breast cancer survivors in Redstone, CO.
Thank You, Sponsors!
Thank you to our incredible sponsors. You have made a big difference!
2022 Grand Sponsors
Listen to the Western Sports Round-up radio interview
Heidi Sherratt was interviewed on Western Sports Round-up. The interview gives an excellent history and information about Cattlemen’s Days and Cattlemen’s Days Tough Enough to Wear Pink.
Bucky, Tuffy, & Betty Ann Drivers Needed
Would you like to volunteer to drive breast cancer patients to breast cancer clinics or hospitals? Listen to this KBUT interview for more information. Please fill out the contact form below if you would like to volunteer to drive or fill one of our other volunteer positions. We appreciate your kindness!