Cattlemen’s Days Tough Enough to Wear Pink
Cancer Does Not Stop Because of COVID19, and Neither Do We!
Cattlemen’s Days TETWP is still working as usual to help take care of those in our community battling cancer. We are keeping all our programs running, deeply sanitizing our vehicles in between uses, helping to cover the cost of lodging, and providing other important supports to those in our community battling cancer during these difficult times.
Please do not hesitate to reach out if you or someone you know needs help in their fight against cancer. We are here for you!
Gunnison County COVID-19 Resources
If you or someone you know is at risk and self-isolating at home, ill with COVID-19 symptoms, or quarantined and need groceries or prescriptions delivered to your home; Gunnison County has set up a grocery delivery service. You can call (970) 641-7959. Deliveries are by drivers trained to safely handle your order and are available throughout the valley 7 days a week from 9:00 till 5:00.
Information and updates are posted at 11:00 am and 6:00 pm Monday-Saturday at https://covid19.gunnisoncounty.org/ . You can find information on the latest public health orders, number of cases, etc. on this website.
Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Stay well.
Cattlemen’s Days Tough Enough To Wear Pink (TETWP) is dedicated to providing comprehensive support to our community in the fight against breast cancer.
Helping and Healing
To the Cattlemen’s Days Tough Enough To Wear Pink Family,
When a person gets diagnosed with cancer it is an immediate life-changing moment. They lose control of so many things and can often feel scared, angry, alone, stressed, and like they no longer have control over their own life. They have to listen to others’ advice and decide what path is best for them. It is a deeply emotional and confusing time.
Those same feelings are happening now, across the world, in this life-changing time of COVID 19.
So what do you do when you are faced with these tough times?
You surround yourself with your most beloved family and friends and you get through it with their love and support.
TETWP has become an important part of the support family for so many in the Gunnison Valley. Not everyone has the emotional or financial strength they need to get through a life crisis and it is our goal to help keep people strong and loved during this time of cancer in their life. People of all ages are being diagnosed with cancer in the Gunnison Valley at an alarming rate and we want to make sure they get the help they need.
Family means so much to us and we know that without the strength of our TETWP family we would be lost. The TETWP family would not be complete without everyone’s love and support……. including full and part-time residents, visitors, volunteers, and sponsors. Each of you is what makes this organization so special and without you, TETWP would never be the same.
We are all navigating and processing so much right now. We are figuring out where our hearts truly want to be. We hope that yours will continue to be with the TETWP family so we can continue to help those diagnosed with cancer, continue to run our essential programs, and make sure people get their life-saving mammograms!
Heidi Sherratt Bogart
Executive Director – Cattlemen’s Days Tough Enough to Wear Pink
We are a 501(C)(3) organization.
Say hello to our Patient Transportation Vehicles, Bucky, Tuffy, and Betty Ann!
Read more about how Cattlemen’s Days Tough Enough to Wear Pink is helping patients reach their appointments safely and comfortably with our patient transportation vehicles, Bucky, Tuffy, and Betty Ann (photo coming soon!). Driver volunteers needed! Please see the information at the bottom of this page if you would like to volunteer to drive one of our transportation vehicles. Thank you to Sky High Offroad for keeping Bucky, Tuffy, and Betty Ann in tip-top shape from their tires to oil changes.
How We Have Helped the Gunnison Valley
According to a 2016 Community Health Needs Assessment, cancer care is one of the highest priority needs identified by our community. To address this need, Cattlemen’s Days Tough Enough to Wear Pink has helped in the following ways:
- Total fundraising to date since 2005 is $3,185,000.
- 2019 fundraising campaigns to date have raised $565,000.
- 2019 $160,000 purchase of a Breast Stereotactic Biopsy Device.
- 2017 $370,000.00 purchase of a Hologic 3D Tomosynthesis Mammography Machine.
- Proven to detect 20%-65% more invasive breast cancers compared to 2D alone, an average increase of 41%.
- Proven to reduce callbacks by up to 40% compared to 2D alone.
- FDA approved as superior for women with dense breasts compared to 2D alone.
- $466,000 funded in mammograms, ultrasounds and biopsies since 2006 for uninsured or under insured Gunnison Valley residents.
- Over $900,000 has been used since 2006 to purchase equipment (3D Tomosynthesis, ultrasound, digital mammography, stereotactic biopsy, PINK robes and warmers) to expand breast cancer services at the hospital as part of a comprehensive strategic plan with Gunnison Valley Hospital to make this the best small town breast cancer facility in the US.
- $36,000.00 – to support the salary for the Oncology Nurse Navigator hired to help all cancer patients in the Gunnison Valley to navigate the complexities of treatments, medications, insurance, transportation, and provide support and assistance throughout all stages of the cancer continuum. Tough Enough To Wear Pink covers 30% of the salary for this position.
- “Tuffy” the Transportation Ram Truck purchased in 2016 and “Bucky” the Dodge Durango purchased in 2018 help all cancer patients get to their out of town medical appointments safely and comfortably. They have traveled over 75,000 miles across the state.
- $114,000 granted since 2015 through the Friends of Pink program to help individuals in the Gunnison Valley who were impacted financially due to a breast cancer diagnosis (lost wages, travel expenses for treatment, etc.).
- $5,000 in funding the honorary Edie Gibson “Make It A Great Day” program which helps Gunnison Valley residents who are diagnosed with cancer by providing coupons for them and their caregivers to utilize the therapy services of Integrative Therapies.
- $4,000 to fund Mammo Mondays.
- $9,800 for all cancers in the first year of Lucy’s House.
- $2,000 to Casting for Recovery to send two Gunnison County Ladies to the 2018 Fly Fishing Retreat for breast cancer survivors in Redstone, CO.
“Gunnison Valley Health and Tough Enough To Wear Pink have collaborated on a strategic plan to bring the best in breast care services to the Valley. We could not have done this without the support of Tough Enough to Wear Pink. ”
– Rob Santilli, CEO Gunnison Valley Health
“GVH has one of the strongest rural mammography programs in the state of Colorado and the Gunnison community should be proud of this service.”
– Inspector, Colorado Department of Health and Human Services
Stay up to date with the latest Cattlemen’s Days Tough Enough to Wear Pink (TETWP) news at our Facebook page.
Thank You, Sponsors!
Thank you to our incredible sponsors. You have made a big difference! Grand Sponsors: Dorothy and Norman Eastwood. Bucky the Cancer Transportation Vehicle Sponsors: Carol Ann May and Jim Saindon. Gold Buckle Sponsors: Elevation Hotel & Spa, Peg & Heidi Foster, Gunnison Valley Health, Hu-Friedy, Ren & Gloria Kern, David & Rhonda McKay, Mountain High Music Festival, Tomichi Materials, and Wrangler. Please click here to see a full list of sponsors.
Cattlemen’s Days Tough Enough to Wear Pink in the Community
Listen to the Western Sports Round-up radio interview
Heidi Sherratt was interviewed on Western Sports Round-up. The interview gives an excellent history and information about Cattlemen’s Days and Cattlemen’s Days Tough Enough to Wear Pink.
Bucky, Tuffy, & Betty Ann Drivers Needed
Would you like to volunteer to drive breast cancer patients to breast cancer clinics or hospitals? Listen to this KBUT interview for more information. Please fill out the contact form below if you would like to volunteer to drive or fill one of our other volunteer positions. We appreciate your kindness!